Waiver wire: Dodgers awarded claiming rights on Cliff Lee- trade unlikely
The “non-waiver” trade deadline might be over, but teams can still make trades by placing players on the waiver wire. Here’s a list of players that have been placed on waivers:
Friday August, 3
– The Los Angeles Dodgers were awarded the claiming rights on Cliff Lee according to Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports. He adds though, that a deal remains unlikely.
– Cliff Lee didn’t clear waivers according to Jon Heyman of CBSSports. Now, the Phillies will have to pull him back of waivers or work out a deal with the team that claimed him.
Thursday August, 2.
– Carl Crawford (Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports): The Red Sox outfielder, who is making $21.857 million this season, is under team control through 2017. The 30-year old outfielder has only played in 14 games this season due to injuries. He’s hitting .240/.296/.400 with 2 HR’s and a 83 OPS+ in 54 plate appearances for the Red Sox this season.
– Carlos Lee (Rosenthal): Lee was traded to the Marlins last month and will be a free agent at the end of the season. In 2012, between the Astros and Marlins Lee is hitting .287/.351/.397 with 6 HR’s and a 103 OPS+ in 370 plate appearances.
– Adam Jones (Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun): Jones, 27, is making $6.15 million this year and he’s under team control through 2013. The outfielder is hitting .293/.338/.540 with 24 HR’s and a 135 OPS+ in 447 plate appearances for the Orioles this season.
– Matt Weiters (Connolly): The catcher, is making $500,000 and is under team control through 2015. The 26-years old switch hitter is batting .241/.319/.407 with 13 HR’s and a 98 OPS+ in 385 plate appearances with the Orioles in 2012.
– Nick Markakis (Connolly): Markakis is making $12.35 million this season and is under team control through 2014. The 28-year old outfielder is hitting .290/.354/.469 with 10 HR’s and a 123 OPS+ in 319 plate appearances for the Orioles this season.
– Cliff Lee (Yahoo! Sports’ Jeff Passan): The left handed pitcher is making $21.5 million this season and is under contract at least until 2015, so he’ll probably clear waivers. The 33-year old Lee is 2-6 with a 3.73 ERA, 1.1 HR/9, 1.7 BB/9 and 8.5 SO/9 in 125.1 innings with the Phillies this season.
Image by Keith Allison under the Creative Commons License Agreement.